Hidden under the cover of all the hype that the ongoing world cup brought about, a global crisis unfolds. The uni-polar reality of the international stability has disintegrated into a multi-polar one ; in fact, the damage from the collapse can already be seen .
The previous global order that was the bedrock of modern peace and stability since 1945 appears to have succumbed to the pressures of the rising liberal world order that was brought about by globalization. It appeared that the rising liberal world order is something that Palmerstonian Trump, whose policy is only focused on interests and no allies, is fighting against .
“The Liberal World Order is the body of rules, norms, and institutions that govern relations between key players on the international stage.”
To understand what is going on, we must understand what is the liberal world order and what is Trump doing on his end. The liberal world order can be defined as “the body of rules, norms, and institutions that govern relations between the key players on the international stage”. These include global institutions such as the “United Nations, and the World Trade Organization; bilateral and regional security organizations; and liberal political norms” . Since its establishment in 1945, the management and evaluation of the global international order, though witnessed by the international committee, were met by US recommendations.
Following Trump’s inauguration and keeping to his electoral promises to “Make America Great Again” that focuses solely on the economic development of America , Trump isolated America from the liberal world order that it was supposed to maintain .
“With the rise of China on the global stage and the inconsistency of opinions among world leaders, the future is becoming increasingly blurred.”
This opened the door for China to create a global economic system that will center around Beijing with the “One-Belt-One-Road” project while France and Canada urge leaders to double down on the uni-polar, American led, global liberal order .
With the rise of China on the global stage and the inconsistency of opinions among world leaders, the future is becoming increasingly blurred. Will the focus of global development be the 17 goals that the UN has set for all nations to follow , or will the rise of China give rise to the spread of its own version of capitalism along with the loss of freedom and civil liberties ?
“The religious domain appears to have completely disregarded the latent functions of modernity and the rationalization that it brings.”
As the church slept through the establishment of the post-war global order till its death, the rationalization of the general population of the first-world has caused many to stumble in their faith and into a world of problems unknown to pre-war believers. Even though religious revolution may have given rise to modernity and kick-started the industrial revolution that modernity was built upon , the religious domain appears to have completely disregarded the latent functions of modernity and the rationalization that it brings.
With the rise of new global liberal order and the uncertainty that it brings, preparation needs to be done to prepare us for a world where the basic tenets of humanism  will be questioned – something that should be of utmost concern before we consider preaching about the sovereignty of the Creator God.
“We must take every responsibility as rational ambassadors of God’s kingdom to study His will and build His kingdom on earth as it is in heaven amidst all the uncertainty that the new global liberal order may bring.”
Of course, we can brush it all off and say that God is in control and that there is “nothing to fear” . But let’s not forget that we are “sent into the world” (John 17:17), and for that, we must take every responsibility as rational ambassadors of God’s kingdom (2 Corinthians 5:20) to study His Will, and build His Kingdom on earth as it is in heaven  amidst all the uncertainty that the new global liberal order may bring.
Image: REUTERS / Shannon Stapleton
 – Muggah, R. (2018). 5 facts you need to understand the new global order. Retrieved from https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/01/five-facts-you-need-to-understand-the-new-global-order/
 – Cadelago, C. (2018). Trump’s step forward Putin seals a new world order. Retrieved from https://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/2155557/trumps-wet-kiss-putin-seals-new-world-order
 – Derbyshire, J. (2018). Opinion Today: Trump’s war on the liberal world order. Retrieved from https://www.ft.com/content/544364c8-7f3b-11e8-bc55-50daf11b720d
 – Mazaar, M. J., Cevallos, A. S., Priebe, M., Radin, A., Reedy, K., Rothenberg, J. A., Thompson, J. A., Willcox, J. (2017). The Liberal International Order – a health check. Retrieved from https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/10/the-liberal-international-order-a-health-check
 – Trump, D. J. (2018). President Donald Trump’s Davos address in full. Retrieved from https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/01/president-donald-trumps-davos-address-in-full-8e14ebc1-79bb-4134-8203-95efca182e94/
 – Trump’s actions at G7, embassy move in Jerusalem, withdrawal from the TPP, error at the Helsinki summit, etc, all showed that Trump is consistent in his approach and is deeply grounded in his worldview . However, this consistency appears to disregard the currently existing liberal world order that America was supposed to maintain.
 – Auslin, M. (2017). The logic of Trump’s foreign policy. Retrieved from http://www.aei.org/publication/the-logic-of-trumps-foreign-policy/
 – Sustainable Development Goals. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-goals/
 – Rattner, S. (2018). Is China’s Version of Capitalism Winning? Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/opinion/china-economy-state-capitalism-winning.html
 – Max Weber: The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism. Retrieved from https://web.stanford.edu/class/sts175/NewFiles/Weber’s%20Protestant%20Ethic.pdf
 – The 12 basic principles of humanism include the fight for human rights, rights of children, developing attitude for compassion towards others, etc. For more, refer to: https://www.quora.com/What-is-humanism-What-are-the-principles-of-humanism
 – Christians often misquote the promises of Romans 8 and hide in the falsehood of the health-and-wealth gospel, minding their own business and counting an accumulation of wealth and good health as God’s blessings of God’s election. (Refer to  Max Weber: The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism).
 – We are to build God’s Kingdom on earth personally. God will “establish the work of our hands” (Psalms 90:17, NIV). But let’s not forget that it is God who “builds the house” (Psalms 127:1, NIV). And for that, we know that it is He who will establish His Will on earth as it is in heaven (Matthew 6:10, NIV).